Sunday, October 11, 2015

52. Elvis Costello - This Years Model


Flickr Download DeviantArt


Here's Elvis Costello gesturing the model to freeze the moment for the perfect shot. The shot of him behind his photographer Chris Gabrin's camera and tripod is perfect for this year's photographer.
The right side of his face is perfectly aligned to his left shoulder and so the alignment can be repeated endlessly and Elvis can keep on clicking away until Joe Walsh and Don Felder 
come face to face with each other for the ending guitar interplay. That might be the moment when this year's model stops being "really pissed off."


 Chris Gabrin on the photo session: "The concept of him behind a camera for the album sleeve had already been chosen, so I decided to equip Elvis with exactly the same gear as I was using to create
'mirror' for him. Alongside a stereo I kept a record collection at my studio, and artists would choose music they enjoyed for their sessions. Elvis asked me if I had "Hotel California" by
The Eagles, and could I play it? I was puzzled by his choice - until he told me that he loathed the record, but wanted to look really pissed off and angry in the shots! We played 
the record several times during the session and whilst I directed him, I was also aware of his copying some of my own actions as I took the photographs". Full article


Here's this year's pissed off model.



No. 98, Rolling Stone, The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time; No. 152, The Virgin All-Time Album Top 1000.


Cover art design by Barney Bubbles, photo by Chris Gabrin. Album produced by Nick Lowe. Radar 1978.


Earphone Adventures: "As usual, my first few listens to this album didn’t really sit well with me, but as I listened to it more and more I realized that this album still has a current sound.
For a 1978 release, its incredibly contemporary. Its got an intentional sound that is precise, skilled, and really makes me appreciate the talent of Costello and his crew. And yes,
with songs like “Pump It Up” and the rock-organ that underscores much of the track, you can easily place the music in the late 70s, early 80s. It captures some of the wild,
loose sounds of the psychedelic era and refines it into a sound that is equally expressive but almost sounds more controlled. More


(A) No Action - This Year's Girl - The Beat - Pump It Up - Little Triggers - You Belong to Me

(B) Hand in Hand - (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea - Lip Service - Living in Paradise - Lipstick Vogue - Night Rally



"(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea" live from ElvisCostelloVEVO on YouTube.


            

  



Previous: Julie London - Julie London Sings Latin in a Satin Mood

Next: The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet


Back to Gallery 2