Saturday, August 8, 2015

37. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti


Flickr Download DeviantArt


On this work, the original album cover art design was halved. The right half was flipped and was added on the left and the left half was flipped and was added on the right. 

I got an eerie feeling looking at my own work. To me it seemed like a view of Manhattan the day the New York stock market crashed in 1929 that marked the
beginning of The Great Depression. That was the year my mother was born. 

My memories go back to the year 2003 when our eyes were transfixed on Bloomberg as Hans Blix announced the UN verdict on Iraq's weapons of mass
destruction. I was grateful I did not sleep all night but my client still lost on trading fees. I resigned the following day. The past twelve months
have been very tense. Now, I don't have a job. But I can think well and I can love my wife like our daughter was yet to be born.

Twelve years onward and I read the news again. This time it's closer to home. It is July 2015. My graffiti might just
turn out to be headline news. And I muse about myself if these unfortunate events could really inspire me.


Here's physical graffiti on the Led Zeppelin album cover without the halves and the flips.




No. 70, Rate Your Music, The 100 Greatest Albums of All Time; No. 73, Rolling Stone, The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time;
No. 111, The Virgin All-Time Album Top 1000; No. 172, Billboard, The 300 Best-Selling Albums of All Time. 

No. 12 - Music Radar, The 50 Greatest Album Covers of All Time; No. 77, Rolling Stone, The 100 Greatest Album Covers.


Art design by Peter Corriston. Album produced by Jimmy Page. Swan Song 1975.


The album's sleeve design features a photograph of a New York City tenement block, with interchanging window illustrations.
The album designer, Peter Corriston, was looking for a building that was symmetrical with interesting details, that
was not obstructed by other objects and would fit the square album cover. He said:

"We walked around the city for a few weeks looking for the right building. I had come up [with] a concept for the band
based on the tenement, people living there and moving in and out. The original album featured the building
with the windows cut out on the cover and various sleeves that could be placed under the cover,
filling the windows with the album title, track information or liner notes."

The two five-story buildings photographed for the album cover are located at 96 and 98 St. Mark's Place in
New York City.The original photograph underwent a number of tweaks to arrive at the final
image. The fifth floor of the building had to be cropped out to fit the square album
cover format. The buildings to the left and right were also changed to match
the style of the double front. Tiles were added on the roof section along
with more faces. Part of the top right railing balcony was left out
for a whole window frame to be visible. The front cover is
a daytime shot, while the back cover was taken at night. More


(A) Custard Pie - The Rover - In My Time of Dying

(B) Houses of the Holy - Trampled Under Foot - Kashmir

(C) In the Light - Bron-Yr-Aur - Down by the Seaside - Ten Years Gone

(D) Night Fight - The Wanton Song - Boggie with Stu - Black Country Woman - Sick Again


"Kashmir" live from Randy Butternubs on YouTube.
         

            

  

Back to Gallery 2